And you’ve probably seen Sungkyunkwan Scandal, got familiarized with Yeorim, Song Joong Ki’s character in that gender bender comedy drama; now Song Joong Ki recently concluded highly rated melodrama, Innocent Guy has finished and I’m in front of my laptop summing up all the ideas and feelings I could write to make this review. And before you start watching, you better remove the schema of Yeorim in your head and his playful side because you’ll love a serious side from Song Joong Ki’s role as Kang Ma Ru.
I expected this drama to be very nice, I only watch the dramas who has either a popular star on it or the one who has a high rating in Korea. With this drama, what am I going to ask for? The lead role is Song Joong Ki that I’ve missed seeing after SKKS and Moon Chae Won’s first lead role in a small screen if I am not mistaken plus it was the highest rating in Korea for the Wed-Thurs timeslot and it didn’t disappoint me. It started very light that every teenager could probably relate themselves, FIRST LOVE. And suddenly switching the lights into a dimmer view of the evil that money can bring to one person and that how this story goes on, life’s reality. I’m not going to spoil anyone okay?!
These are the things I’ve noticed spending 20 hours of my life watching Innocent Man/Nice Guy:
- I am thankful that this drama is from KBS2 and not from SBS, Song Joong Ki and Moon Chae Won must be the Best Actor and Actress for this year’s Drama Awards because all this time I’ve been rooting Yoochun’s Rooftop Prince for the drama awards and after seeing this drama my mind started wavering and it is a good thing both series are from different networks.
- I love how Song Joong Ki made an acting transition from very funny to a little evil romantic guy. It made me see his different angles as an actor that made me appreciate him more with his skills.
- Moon Chae Won’s acting is one to commend to. She can be a bitch and sweet lady in one series, no doubt she is a pro. And her eyes are just something really expressive, I’m scared when she’s mad and happy other way around very different from her role in Shining Inheritance and My Fair Lady. I can’t think of any actress to play the role of Seo Eun Gi other than Moon Chae Won.
- Soong Joong Ki and Moon Chae Won’s overflowing chemistry on screen is really undeniable and ignorable, when they fight I feel the pain, when they kiss I feel my knees go weak, when they hug I can feel their warmth and when they talk I know they are so inlove. It is just so perfect how the director made these actors at their best, after all behind the cameras you would see how close Joong Ki and Chae Won are. (My newest OTP)
- If there would be best supporting actor, it has to be Lee Kwang Soo. He makes me laugh in this melodrama series and suddenly makes me shed a river of tears. Lee Kwang Soo’s character, Jae Gil, Choco and Jae Shin are the one that makes the whole story balanced especially with their effortless humor and twists, this drama happened to be not just a melodrama.
- This series’ opening is just one of a kind, like the story it is full of foreshadowing and depicting how Kang Ma Ru’s feeling developed from the first episode until the last episode.
Nice Guy have given me real life’s lessons and I guess no matter how fictitious this story is, it is it’s advantage to other fantasy-romance drama. This might be cliched but it proved me the power of first love, second love, forgiveness and God. When Maru took the blame for Jae Hee’s murder and how he wanted to have revenge for betraying him is because of his too much love for Jae Hee is another proof of the quote “first love never dies,” but no matter how big the love is, it died that proved the saying, “love is lovelier the second time around.” It happened when unexpectedly Ma Ru have fallen for Eun Gi and how she changed him, his goals and his path. Lastly, I just love the ending so much that he got what he prayed for. Even this is just a drama, it proved the audience that God will let things happen in right time.
“I want to date like others, and be able to love like others. I want to start all over again. I think I prayed for those things. What kind of person she is… I would ask those who know her. And at times, I’d hang around outside her house. And at the times, I’d memorize all the songs of her favorite pop artist. I’d go to the place she frequents and wait for her the whole day. I’d tell her I miss her if I miss her and I’d say I long for her when I do. I’d feel excitement, and gratitude. To date like other people, I think I prayed for it. And I say my prayers again… Thank you. Now I’m happy.” – Kang Ma Ru
I have the best words for this drama and I might be speechless enumerating everything but this drama is definitely worth watching for. You’ll be attached to every characters and it is like a journey sneaking to one’s life even though it is like riding a roller coaster ride with all the twists and turns, in the end you’ll get a satisfying feeling. 🙂